Wireless internet use is growing in the healthcare industry. Ninety-four percent of doctors are now using smartphones to access medical information, manage their workflows and communicate with others, according to a 2010 study from Spyglass Consulting Group. As hospitals transition to electronic records, they are equipping their healthcare facilities, including mobile clinics, with wireless LANs and other reliable technology that can handle large bandwidths across different access points. The advantages of mobile clinic WiFi, or WLANS, are many, as we outline below.
Healthcare Benefits of Stationary and Mobile Wireless Internet
- Improved health outcomes, since caregivers can access a wealth of information at a moment’s notice.
- Reduced healthcare costs, since less labor is required to distribute information across staff. It is much easier to access up-to-date patient information at the point of care if a facility is outfitted with stationary or mobile wireless internet.
- Access to ARRA stimulus funds. In 2009, the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act was passed. It promises funding to healthcare providers that adopt electronic medical records and health-related IT systems.
- Improved communication. Mobile clinic internet access makes it easier for doctors, nurses and other healthcare providers to communicate.
- Exciting patient monitoring potential. In the future, wearable sensors may wirelessly communicate patient data, such as heart rate, to mobile devices, keeping healthcare providers even more “plugged in” to their patients’ well-being. A 2008 Brookings Institute report found that this kind of remote monitoring technology could provide $197 billion in savings over the next 25 years.
Mobile wireless internet technology, such as our SingleCAM dashboard and body camera system, is bringing these benefits to ambulances and mobile clinics as well as brick-and-mortar healthcare establishments. Mobile clinics are gaining popularity, as they bring healthcare services to office workers and schools across the country. Mobile clinic WiFi allows doctors and nurses to immediately add exam data to patients’ electronic health records. It also allows healthcare professionals to access the world’s best healthcare information right from their mobile clinic.
Internet access is a game changer. It shifts work habits, opens a world of entertainment and skyrockets communication with family and friends. As hospital and mobile clinic internet access becomes more common, the internet will also be making dramatic changes in how we heal.